Added by Admin on Dec 28, 2011|Updated on Apr 6, 2012
Suzhou City God Temple was previously located southwest of the inner city during the Song (960-1279) and Yuan Dynasties (1271-1368). Destroyed in war at the end of the Yuan Dynasty, the temple was reconstructed in 1370 on the base of Yongxi Temple where the City God Temple now stands.
The temple was once the largest City God Temple in the lower part of Yangtze River area. In October 1956, the temple was listed as a protected cultural relic of Jiangsu Province, but was severely destroyed during the Cultural Revolution from 1966 to 1976.
Since the end of 2001, Suzhou City Government has supported the temple’s reconstruction. The renovation project started in September 2002. Costing more than 8 million yuan (US$1.26 million), the renovation project was completed and the temple opened to the public again on April 27, 2004.
The temple now is a major religious venue for Taoism.